Why is pork haram? There are many things that Islam has prohibited for many reasons, including alcohol, gambling and other evils that spoil and harm human health. Among the things that God Almighty has forbidden to Muslims is eating pork, and today we will learn together about Why is pork haram? Pork and its harm to humans in the following lines, so follow us.
Join Now to Get 2 FREE trial classes
learn Quran online
Why is pork haram?
- God Almighty has prohibited pork for Muslims for several reasons, so we’re going to explain Why is pork haram? as follows:
- The main reason for the prohibition of pork is that it is a divine command, and God – the Most High – has forbidden every evil to man, and made good things permissible for him, so he must submit to the command of God – the Most High.
- The pig is considered one of the beasts; It is proven that the Prophet Muhammad – may God bless him and grant him peace – said: (كُلُّ ذِي نابٍ مِنَ السِّباعِ فأكْلُهُ حَرامٌ) This is evidence for the prohibition of eating pork, and the pig is a creature in which there is a beast, so it eats meat, and bestiality; He eats grass and weeds.
- God Almighty has forbidden the pig because it is a dirty animal and eats dirty food. It is transferred to those who eat it dirty and harmful.
- God Almighty has forbidden pork because it is an unclean animal; God Almighty has said: (قُل لاَ أَجِدُ فِيمَا أُوحِيَ إِلَيَّ مُحَرَّمًا عَلَى طَاعِمٍ يَطْعَمُهُ إِلاَّ أَنْ يَكُونَ مَيْتَةً أَوْ دَمًا مَسْفُوحًا أَوْ لَحْمَ خِنْزِيرٍ فَإِنَّهُ رِجْسٌ أَوْ فِسْقًا أُهِل لِغَيْرِ اللَّهِ بِهِ فَمَنِ اضْطُرَّ غَيْرَ بَاغٍ وَلاَ عَادٍ فَإِنَّ رَبَّكَ غَفُورٌ رَحِيمٌ) And رجس means: unclean, and it is harmful to the human body.
- God Almighty has forbidden pork Because it is one of the evils that a normal, upright human soul repels.
Ruling on eating pork
- It is not permissible to eat pork, pork fat, cartilage, brain, bones, skin, milk, brain, and stuffing are also prohibited, except for necessity. By agreement of the scholars of the Islamic Ummah; God said-: (قُل لاَ أَجِدُ فِيمَا أُوحِيَ إِلَيَّ مُحَرَّمًا عَلَى طَاعِمٍ يَطْعَمُهُ إِلاَّ أَنْ يَكُونَ مَيْتَةً أَوْ دَمًا مَسْفُوحًا أَوْ لَحْمَ خِنْزِيرٍ فَإِنَّهُ رِجْسٌ أَوْ فِسْقًا أُهِل لِغَيْرِ اللَّهِ بِهِ فَمَنِ اضْطُرَّ غَيْرَ بَاغٍ وَلاَ عَادٍ فَإِنَّ رَبَّكَ غَفُورٌ رَحِيمٌ).
- It is permissible for a person, when necessary, to eat pork; Necessity occurs when the person is afraid of dying if it does not eat anything, so it takes a small amount to the extent that it prevents it from dying, Then the Muslim returns to the original ruling, which is the prohibition of eating pork.
- If dog meat and pork are found, a person may eat dog meat and leave pork when necessary. This is the Hanbali school of thought Because some scholars approve eating dog meat, and said that the obliged one eats pork fat, its kidneys and liver, if it is available; Because pork contains an explicit and clear text that it is forbidden, unlike the rest of its parts, and the Malikis went to say that the obliged eats from the dead when necessary and leaves the food from the pig, and this is only if he has to.
You may read: What is the reason for the prohibition on pork?
We will mention all rules that is related to pigs not only Why is pork haram? them as follows:
- The pig is one of the animals that it is not permissible to sell, nor any part of its internal or external parts, and also it is not permissible to sell pigs, whether alive or dead; Because the prohibition on selling pigs came in general, including the prohibition of selling pigs, alive or dead.
- The pig is considered one of the virulent and malignant animals, and it is an animal that is unclean in the eye, and everything that results from pigs is considered unclean, so it is not permissible to eat pig, nor use its skin and hair, nor use the milk that comes out It is not permissible to buy pigs, keep them and take care of them, and this is the view of the majority of jurists.
- It is not permissible to use pig skin at all, even after tanning; Because pig skin does not become pure when tanning, and its skin remains impure according to the consensus of the fuqaha’, for tanning does not remove the impurity of pig skin; Because it is unclean in the eye.
- The pig is considered one of the animals that make water impure if they drank in it – that is, you drank from it while it was in the bowl – and purification from the impurity of the pig is done like purification from all other impurities; By washing it once or to the extent that the impurity obtained from the pig is removed.
- The scholars did not attach the purification of the impurity of the pig to the method of purification from the impurity of the dog, and they considered the impurity of the pig-like all other impurities; The Hanafis, Shafi’is, Malikis, and Hanbalis agreed on that, because there is no explicit text in Islamic Sharia that attaches the washing of the impurity of a pig and makes it obligatory like washing the impurity of a dog, and the basis for washing the impurity of a pig is the removal of the impurity. The purpose of purification was achieved and the rule of impurity was removed and which also explains Why is pork haram?
- It is not permissible to use anything related to pigs as medicine for diseases; It is not permissible to use them in the manufacture of medicines, which is the view of the majority of scholars from the Hanafi, Maliki, and Hanbali schools, and a view of the Shafi’is, because pigs are malignant, and it is not permissible to treat with malignant ones, and it was proven on the authority of Abu Hurairah – may God be pleased with him – that he said (نَهى رسولُ اللَّهِ صلَّى اللَّهُ عليهِ وسلَّمَ عنِ الدَّواءِ الخبيثِ).
Why did God create the pig while it was forbidden?
Why is pork haram? God – Almighty – creates what He wills, and wisdom is necessary for God – the Highest – creates creatures for its sake, and from that the creation of pigs, and it has been said that the wisdom of creating pigs is his task of cleaning up dirt and it was also said that he is a witness to God’s punishment of some nations. which transformed them into monkeys and pigs and God creates whatever He wills, and He alone knows the wisdom of that.
Harms of eating pork
Eating pork is harmful to the human body, and some of these damages are mentioned:
- Pork is one of the meats that contain a high percentage of cholesterol, the increase of which in the blood leads to atherosclerosis.
- Eating pork causes leukemia, breast, colon, prostate and rectal cancer.
- Eating it leads to obesity and its diseases.
- Eating pork causes itching, sensitivity and stomach ulcers.
- Eating pork that contains tapeworms causes lung infections. The tapeworm in pork causes eggs to grow inside the human body, which subsequently leads to insanity and hysteria if they grow in the brain. The growth of a tapeworm in the heart causes heart attacks in humans.
At the end of the article, we wish that you’ve known Why is pork haram? we arrive at the fact that the pig is an animal that God Almighty has forbidden for its own sake, so it is forbidden to eat its meat or benefit from any of it, because of the many harms it causes, which we mentioned previously, and that the wisdom of its prohibition is known only to God – the Most High – and no one has to ask about that.
Qur’an mentioned that Allah prohibits eating the flesh of pork because it is a SIN and an IMPIETY (Rijss).